December 18, 2008
Why do the new California catalytic converters cost more?
- Effective January 1, 2009 the California Air Resources Board has mandated that ALL catalytic converters sold or installed on a California Registered vehicle be a higher emissions reduction unit and that the units are selected from an application specific catalog. For complete application information go to www.car-sound.com.
- California has instituted the new standards in order to provide a significant improvement in air quality by the year 2012. These higher standards demand that the new converters be higher performing. They have to meet higher emissions standards, thus requiring much higher precious metal loadings.
This action will result in,
- *Emission levels of HC will decrease by up to 10,600 lbs per day.
- *Emission levels of NOx will decrease by up to 62,600 lbs per day.
- *Emission levels of CO will decrease up to 102,600 lbs per day.
Ensuring you a problem-free exhaust future;
Hans Borneby - Engineering Product Manager